Posted on March 6, 2020
The health and safety of our participants, employees, contractors, volunteers, and their family members is of the utmost importance to us. As the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), and other health organizations, continue to work on establishing protocol regarding the Coronavirus (COVID-19), we are implementing employment and service-related safeguards.
According to the news and reports from a local Hendricks County school, there have been confirmed cases of the Coronavirus in Marion County and Hendricks County. The school system identified is Avon Schools. The confirmed case is a child attending Hickory Elementary. Avon Schools have an eLearning day on 3-9-2020 and Hickory Elementary has shut down until April 6th. As we obtain new information from local governmental offices, ISDH, school systems or local news stations, we will pass that information on to you. The health, safety and well-being of our participants, employees, contractors, volunteers and their families, and he community at large is our highest priority. Sycamore has and will continue to take steps to ensure we are addressing this issue.
According to the CDC, Chinese authorities identified the new Coronavirus, which has resulted in confirmed human infections in China and a growing number of other countries, including the United States. At this time, there is no evidence of widespread transmission of COVID-19 in Indiana, or the United States as a whole. Without sustained human-to-human transmission, most Americans are not at significant risk of infection. Exposure risk may be elevated for some, including workers who interact with potentially infected travelers from abroad, those working in healthcare, death care, laboratories, airline operations, border protection, solid waste and wastewater management and those who travel to areas where the virus is widespread.
With concern over the Coronavirus growing, Sycamore Services is following procedures to reduce risk, and follow the recommendations of the CDC for prevention of exposure. Infected people can spread COVID-19 through their respiratory secretions, especially when they cough or sneeze. The virus can spread from person-to-person, most likely in close contact (within 6 feet). We are instructing Sycamore Services staff members to follow Universal Precautions for hygiene including, but not limited to, the following:
- As able, avoid close contact with people who are sick. If you do have contact, use Universal Precautions.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth. If you need to, make sure you have thoroughly washed your hands prior to touching those areas and immediately after touching those areas.
- As able, stay home when you are sick. As much as possible, separate yourself from other people and animals.
- Cover cough or sneeze with a tissue, then dispose of the tissue in the trash. The trashcan should have a trash bag/liner, or the trashcan should be thoroughly sanitized each time the trash is emptied.
At all Sycamore Services locations, we will be following good housekeeping practices, including:
- Cleaning and disinfecting frequently touched objects and surfaces, especially those that may have blood, stool or body fluids on them.
- Washing hands thoroughly after cleaning contaminated surfaces.
- Using Personal Protective Equipment (PPE), in accordance with CDC’s recommendations, such as gloves and facemask when likely to come in contact with blood or other bodily fluids.
- Washing hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after going to the bathroom; before eating; and after blowing nose, coughing, or sneezing.
- If soap and water are not readily available, using alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol. Always washing hands with soap and water if hands are visibly dirty.
- No sharing personal household items such as dishes, eating utensils, towels, etc. After using these items, wash thoroughly with soap and water.
- · Using Engineering Controls, such as sharps disposal containers and biohazard waste bags, as appropriate.
The CDC does not recommend that people who are well wear a facemask to protect themselves from respiratory diseases, including COVID-19. Facemasks should be used by people who show symptoms of COVID-19 to help prevent the spread of the disease to others.
Please note that these are precautionary measures due to recent events; we have not had any cases of COVID-19 within our agency. This procedure is currently in place and will remain in place until further notice. Our employees are required to follow current Sycamore Services, Inc., Policies and Procedures and any related Infectious Control Action Plans.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact Sycamore Services at 317-745-4715 and ask for a Human Resources representative. To learn more about COVID-19, we encourage you to visit the CDC website at https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html.